(Listed West to East)


One of the rarest CNR builder’ s plate:

CNR 4-8-4 #6258 had a unique round Canadian National number plate (see the pic). When the engine was cut up, the plate vanished … its location is currently unknown. With the average price for a standard CNR number plate in the $700-$2,000 dollar range this one would be much higher.  Legend has it that when 6258 departed Mimico for London Reclaim Yard, the plate stayed behind in the custody of one of the foremen of the day.  What happened to it after that seems to be lost in the mists of time. 
Here's a front end detail shot of 6258, taken at Turcot in 1952.


GET NOTICED … With a “BANNER”!   Contact us:


Canadian Museum of Rail and Travel 

Work continues at the Canadian Museum of Rail and Travel in Cranbrook, BC on restoring  CP FA2 4090 and FB2 4469.  



Revelstoke Railway Museum:

Kamloops Railway Historical Society:

CRHA - E&N Division

West Coast Railway Association (WCRA)


From Mike McGaw … We connected a substantial 21st century Diesel engine battery up to our early nineteen hundreds air compressors. All the clean-up, attention to details and of course fresh compressor oil paid off, they responded smoothly and "ran like clocks".  The cab ceiling and inside walls are cleaning up well plus taking on primer and fresh paint ...the new "greenroom". Cab end window frames are cleaning up too, though a couple will require some serious epoxy filler attention.

Plenty of side projects underway such as the reconditioning of the trolley pole bases and the removal of old Bondo from right side of cab. We're hoping to be able to pick up our new (ish) air reservoir before month end.  Late news—Enermax Mountain Manufacturing has offered to donate the additional $1500 worth of work required for our tank now sitting in their lot

Of Interest To Those Living In The Lower Mainland Of BC …


Plans are under way for the annual celebration of the locomotive’s entry into Vancouver May23, 1887. The celebrations will beheld as usual on the Sunday of the Victoria Day Weekend … this year it’s May 19th. The engine will be outside and steamed up. Cake, music and more will add to the festive occasion through out the day. Come to Yaletown and enjoy the festivities.



Day Out With Thomas 2013 tickets are now on sale the annual visit to the West Coast Railway Heritage Park. This year it is The GoGo Thomas Tour 2013 Tour. Dates will be June 1, 2 and June 8, 9, 2013. This year’s event will feature all your favorite Thomas activities plus some new things. Ticket prices for 2013 are $23 + GST and fees and are available via ... Look for the BLUE Order Thomas Tickets Button.  Again this year, for those wishing to stay overnight in conjunction with the Thomas event The Sandman Hotel Squamish is offering a special $89 rate (including Continental Breakfast). The Booking code will be published on the WCRA website shortly.

VIA 6305 (ex-CN 6508) now resides at the West Coast Railway Association’s Squamish site after spending some time in Quebec (1994, Les Trains Touristique St-Laurent) then Ontario (1997, Waterloo-St, Jacobs Railway) before being shipped to B.C in early 2012, but this engine’s health is reported as not being very good.  Unfortunately the F-9B 6604 was retired back in the late 80’s and is no longer with us.

CP 8000

The restoration crew are continuing at their task. For those wishing to follow the restoration, CP8000 now has a Facebook page –

Kettle Valley Railway Society  (KVSR)



Rocky Mountaineer - Vancouver, BC


The first RMR tour train of the season rolls into Field, B.C. for a head end crew change. Leading is RMRX 8011(GMD GP40-2L(W), assisted by RMRX 8016 (EMD GP-40) and RMRX 8015 (GMD GP40-2L(W).  Taken April 24, 2013.


Fraser Valley Heritage Railway Museum – Surrey, BC.

British Columbia Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society


Royal Canadian Pacific Luxury Train

Alberta Railway Museum – Edmonton, AB

Alberta Railway Museum – Bieseker, AB

The museum has two MLW switchers:  Ex-CP RS-23 8017 (ex- Saskferco - Belle Plain, Saskatchewan), and Ex-CN S13u 8704 (donated by CANAC).

Alberta Central Railway Museum - Wetaskiwin, AB

The Alberta Prairie Railway Excursions – Stettler, AB

Rocky Mountain Railway Society:

CN GMD1u 1179 was recently delivered to APRA.  Apparently in a very complex arrangement with CN the APRA Museum traded CN their 4520 for it this year. Former CN GMd1u 1179 has B-B Flexi-coil trucks, and the museum is interested to acquire any GMD1u A-1-A trucks if any are available?  (via Peter Cox).

Alberta 2005 Centennial Railway Museum Society)

Galt Historic Railway Park


Southern Prairie Railway

You can follow the Southern Prairie Railway on Facebook  for upcoming events and the reactions from the many riders they had this year.


PRAIRIE GRAIN  VIGNETTE:  This National Film Board (NFB) film shows how the CPR moved, loaded and emptied grain cars in Canada in 1955.  Some  really good CPR Steam train and 40-foot box car scenes from the 1950's and in colour!


Winnipeg Railway Museum:



Southern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society:

News updates can be found here: 

Niagara Railway Museum

Check out their Flanger Repairs

The Bytown Railway Society – Ottawa, ON

Chatham Railway Museum

Huntsville and Lake of Bays Railway Society

Elgin County Railway Museum

Toronto Railway Heritage Association

York Durham Heritage Railway

Halton County Railway Museum

Northern Ontario Railway Museum & Heritage Center - Capreol, ON

The Canada Science & Technology Museum - Ottawa, ON.

GET NOTICED … With a CRO “BANNER”!   Contact us:

The Palmerston Railway Heritage Association

CLC  CNR 2-6-0 #81 is on display nearby the museum

Niagara Railway Museum

In April 2010, after some 13yrs of searching, the Niagara Railway Museum Inc took over the former CNR Diesel Repair Shop in Fort Erie, ON, and finally had a home. Our three locomotives: (Hydro Electric Power Commission ALCo 0-4-0ST #46, Ontario Hydro Plymouth MDT40t, and Hydro Electric Power Commission NSC electric E-7, ex-Inco 102), were moved to the site in June/July 2010, and our ex-CNR Flanger arrived in late 2012. We are still waiting for our three ex-CP Rail boxcars to be moved to the site. The three track repair shop was built in 1951, and was closed by 1989. CN sold the majority of property around the shop, and included the former Yard Office, the diesel shop, and what remained of the roundhouse (the boiler house) in the early 90's. It didn't take long for the structure to fall into a state of disrepair, with windows and doors being smashed out, allowing free access for trespassers, vandals and scrap thieves. In its heyday, the shop was the home base for the repairs of the Canadian Wabash F units. The shop was a joint facility, and the Wabash shared shop equipment with CN. When the shop was emptied, the shop equipment was sold off, all except for one very large lathe, which resides permanently in the lower level. The diesel shop was a major part of the Fort Erie yard, which also included a Car Shop, and roundhouse. The remaining Roundhouse stalls burned in 1991, a result of arson. The car shops survived, sold to a lumber distributor, and are now a scrap metal dealer. The locomotive shop suffered through the years. There are very few windows left, all the copper wiring has been stripped, and there is no hydro or water running to the building.. It has been an uphill battle. First thing the NRM did was seal all the holes that were allowing people to stroll in. We have had our share of vandalism, costing us much more than we can easily recover from. The windows are slowly being covered over to help keep the weather, and everything else out. The shop features three separate tracks. The northern track is the heavy repair bay, complete with 25ton overhead crane. There are two inspection tracks that fit two locomotives (at the time) on elevated rails. The middle track also has a Whiting 90ton drop table for changing out wheel sets. Outside the shop the sand towers stand over empty track. CN pulled the track from in front of the shop before it was sold. The NRM has currently rebuilt 300ft of track, and will be continuing the construction through a turnout to join the southern and middle track together this spring.

The project is a large one, in a area hit hard by cutback and business closures. The volunteers of the NRM are dedicated to seeing this project through, and continue the restoration of our locomotives and equipment. The Museum, like others across Canada, is a Charitable Organization, and we do what we can to raise funds. We run two model railway shows during the year, and have 3 open houses at the shop. Our first open house for 2013 is May 25/26, 10-4 both days. The displays have our equipment, artifacts, the ONR Historical Society, Southern Niagara Model Railroad Club, and the NRM's HO and N scale layouts. Admission is by donation, and the event is rain or shine. Please join us!

 Wabash F's 659 & 657 are outside the west side of the shop on August 14, 1965.

 CN 4596 sits on the turntable lead with Wabash 725 on a service track to the north on March 18, 1965.

The diesel shop in the summer of 2009, heavily overgrown and vandalized.


April 2010 after the NRM crew cut the brush and weeds around the entire shop.

The first ever open house in July 2010 with our ex-CN Fairmont M19 at end of track.

HEPC E-7 (left) and HEPC #46 (right) share shop space at the NRM.  These two locomotives worked together on the Queenston-Chippawa Project back in 1920.

Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario (RMEO)

South Simcoe Railway

The Guelph Junction Railway Museum

Brockville Railway Tunnel




Exporail will be open Saturdays and Sundays May 4 - 5 and May 11 - 12, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. It will also be open during the week for group tours by reservation. As of May 18, Exporail will be open daily from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Complete 2013 Program available on our website

Ontario visitors have a new highway to reach Exporail


After a decade of talk, the Federal and Quebec governments have finally completed the Route 30 highway extension from Vaudreuil to Candiac , Quebec. This means that visitors from Ontario (Ottawa via the 417 and Toronto via the 401) can travel by car to Exporail without having to come onto the Island of Montreal to take the Mercier bridge (which often has reduced traffic lanes because of weekend bridge repairs).

At Vaudreuil, follow the highway 30 signs (Sorel, Tracy, Quebec) to the new bridge over the St. Lawrence River ($ 1.10 toll charge) and take exit 47 for highway 730. Take exit 2 and turn right onto St. Regis St, go to the end (about 5 km) and turn left onto rue St. Pierre, Exporail is on your right about 250m after the CPR level crossing. Blue Transport Quebec highway signs are posted beginning on highway 30 before exit 47 and indicate the way to Exporail. 

The Railway Stations Exhibit highlights the important role played by these structures across the country. From Everywhere to You, this exhibit offers a journey into the fascinating world of railway yards and railway traffic control centres. Both exhibits are housed in the Hays Station.


The Dominion of Canada  which is undergoing cosmetic restoration at the National Railway Museum at York, England has had its side valences, CPR bell and whistle installed; it has received its first coat of garter blue paint! Work continues to prepare the locomotive for the great A4 reunion which will be held on July 3, 2013 at the NRM in York.


Canadian Rail Magazine

The March - April issue of Canadian Rail features a glimpse into Northern Ontario railroading. Feature articles include The Miner's Trolley, a fascinating look at Sudbury's streetcar system; Northern Ontario school and dental cars; A Near Miss - a look at CNR structures in the 1930s along the CNR line between South Parry and Sudbury. Canadian Rail is mailed to members and is available at better hobby shops across Canada.

Steven Barker submitted his  latest photographs of the ongoing cosmetic restoration of Gresley A4 Pacific 4489 “Dominion of Canada”, into LNER blue and white.   The majority of the locomotive is now in green primer.  All nameplates were removed for preparation for painting. The bell is now back in place  and her side skirts are now complete.  Steven will be submitting more photographs to CRO as the work progresses.  



Steven snapped these shots of 4489 Dominion of Canada at the Shildon branch of the National Railway Museum, the second week of April. The locomotive now has her blue undercoat blue, and is  ready for the final paint into LNER Garter Blue.  



On April 18th, the 4489 Dominion of Canada had an all over undercoat of blue except for the smokebox doors which are in black undercoat black,  The cab window frames were still  being sanded down.   



Steven also searched through his photographs and found the six existing Gresley A4 Pacific's , I have assembled them into one photograph.   They are from top left , 4468 BITTERN , 4468 MALLARD , 60009 UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA , 4489 DOMINION OF CANADA , 60008 DWIGHT D EISENHOWER and 60007 SIR NIGEL GRESLEY . They are listed here in order of construction of the six three are runners , Bittern , Union of South Africa and Sir Nigel Gresley . 

Hull - Wakefield Steam Train - Gatineau, QC  


Moncton Transportation Museum:

The New Brunswick Railway Museum  Hillsborough, NB


Nova Scotia Museum of Industry -  Stellarton, NS

Memory Lane Railway Museum - Middleton, NS

Train Station Inn - Tatamagouche, NS

Orangedale Railway Museum  - Orangedale, NS



The Orange Empire Railway Museum 


Bridge Line Historical Society - Delaware and Hudson RR



The Railway Museum of New England



More information in the Railway Museum of New England Newsletter:

GET NOTICED … With a CRO “BANNER”!   Contact us:


Monticello Railway Museum


The Iron Horse Museum - Chicago City, NN


 Lake Shore Railway Historical Society

Steamtown National Historic Site:




Cornwall, England, United Kingdom



Check us out on facebook:


We open again for Brake Van rides at Easter from 29 March until 1 April and then every Thursday, Sunday and Bank Holiday weekend until November.
 Trains leave from Prospidnick Halt from 10.30 am to 4pm.
Adult rides £5, Children (over 5) £3, Family tickets £12 (2 adults and 3 children)
Access is via Trevarno Farm, Prospidnick, TR13 0RY.   Free entry

©CRO May 2013